The Brunswick Wellness Coalition (BWC) and Walmart have partnered to host its inaugural County Care Fair, rotating between the three Walmart locations in Brunswick County as follows:
- Monday, July 16, Leland
- Thursday, August 16, Southport
- Tuesday, September 18, Shallotte
The fair will take place at each location from 5 to 8 p.m. and will offer a wide range of health screenings, education and kid-friendly activities. There will also be grocery store tours and giveaways.“Our health providers and health-minded organizations have partnered to host this fair because they care about the health of our residents,” said BWC’s Executive Director, Lindsay Maher. “I encourage area residents to take advantage of this opportunity and make the time to care for their health by stopping by at one of the three locations.”Health services available at the fair will include:
- Dental consultations
- Mammography screenings – recommended calling 910-721-1485 to schedule appointment.
- Eye glass adjustments
- Diabetes screenings
- Blood pressure screening
- Hepatitis C screenings
“It can be a challenge and costly to find the time to get to a doctor or health provider,” said Sheila Roberts, Chair of BWC. “That’s why we are excited about the Care Fair – not only is it increasing access to affordable care it is also increasing access to affordable care after normal business hours.”Other Care Fair festivities include:
- A kid zone with fun activities on healthy eating and healthy living.
- Grocery store tours to learn how to shop healthy on a budget.
- Free giveaways and health education material.
- Community dream boards to share your thoughts about what makes a community healthy.
Participating organizations include Brunswick County Health Services; Coastal Horizons Center, Inc; CommWell Health; Dosher Memorial Hospital; New Hanover Regional Medical Center; New Hope Clinic; Novant Health; The Cooperative Extension; Walmart Pharmacy; Walmart Vision Center; and, YMCA of Southeastern North Carolina. Questions? Contact BWC at 910-444-1872.